Humber Bridge Statement

A spokesperson from the Humber Bridge Board said:

“We understand closing the footways has been a controversial decision that has not attracted universal support, but we would like to reassure the public that it has been taken as an emergency response to the unprecedented and deeply troubling events at the Humber Bridge over recent weeks. 

“It is no secret that there has been a spate of people – mostly young people from the local area – who have decided to end their lives at the bridge.

“Closing the footways is the most immediate and effective way to prevent further incidents of this nature, and this was our sole consideration when making the decision. 

“As well as protecting emotionally distressed individuals, the measure has been implemented to protect our staff and the public. 

“When these tragic events occur, our staff are the first responders and have to deal with some extremely distressing and traumatic situations. We have a duty to minimise their exposure to such incidents to protect their mental health and wellbeing. 

“The Humber Bridge Board currently spends a quarter of a million pounds each year on measures designed to prevent emotionally distressed individuals from ending their lives at the bridge. Until last month these measures have been largely effective. 

“However, the recent tragic events are unlike anything we have previously dealt with, and we are working closely with Public Health, local MPs, local authorities, emergency services, the Samaritans, Hull and East Yorkshire Mind and other stakeholders to fully understand them and assess the future risk. While this is ongoing, the footways must remain closed to the general public.  

“We are, however, looking at reopening access to commuters as soon as possible, to minimise disruption to those who cycle or walk to work over the Humber Bridge, and we are considering a range of measures to ensure the situation can be effectively managed once the footways fully reopen.”

+30

Humber Bridge embraces cashless future

Many Humber Bridge users will recall that in June this year, we took the difficult decision to go cashless. 

The decision was made to protect our staff and the travelling public, as far as we possibly could, from contracting COVID-19. 

Despite being enforced upon us due to the pandemic, we’re delighted to say that Humber Bridge users have adapted to, and embraced, cashless methods of payment. 

HumberTAG applications have rocketed as people wanted to take advantage of the cheaper crossings and not having to stop at the toll booths. 

And, with payment stations being placed on the outside of the toll booths, card payments have become seamless, with minimised contact between customers and our toll booth operators. 

It is for these reasons that we have decided not to reintroduce cash payments on the Humber Bridge. 

Although this means the status quo won’t change, we will officially go cashless on January 1st, 2021. 

From that date, users will be able to pay via:

  • credit card using contactless or chip and pin
  • debit card using contactless or chip and pin
  • Google Pay
  • Samsung Pay
  • Apple Pay

Andrew Arundel, Chief Operating Officer at the Humber Bridge, said the move would continue to protect customers and staff and would also ensure the bridge remained as efficient as possible.

He said: “The feedback we have received is that with the virus still around, contactless methods of payment are the preferred option.

“Tag and contactless payments are also quicker than paying by cash and not having to process cash has made our processes more efficient. 

“So, there are benefits to both our customers and our staff from this move.” 

If you would like to save 10% on all of your crossings and use the Open Road Toll – please apply for a HumberTAG here.

0

Humber Bridge toll booths to reopen following government announcement but cash will not be accepted

The Humber Bridge toll booths are set to reopen on Monday, June 29th, following the recent government announcements about the ‘Lockdown Exit Plan’ and going back to work.

However, as part of the on-going measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, cash will not be accepted at the toll booths. 

Customers without a TAG can pay via the new contactless payment terminals on the outside of the booths which accept credit and debit cards, as well as Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay. 

But the best option is to apply for a TAG at www.humbertag.com and benefit from a 10 per cent discount on all crossings. 

The booths have been closed since Sunday, March 29, as part of the measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Since that date, all traffic crossing the bridge has been using the open road ‘TAG Lane’ (ORT).

But with traffic steadily increasing over recent weeks, the Humber Bridge Board has taken the decision to reopen the toll booth lanes.

Working under the government guidance on being COVID secure, the Board has carried out relevant risk assessments and implemented safety measures to ensure both toll booth operators and customers are protected. 

For more information – click here to view our FAQ’s.

+4

All Humber Bridge users to be directed through Tag lanes to reduce the risk of COVID-19

To help reduce the spread of the coronavirus, all traffic crossing the Humber Bridge is now to be directed through the Tag lanes from this Sunday evening (29/03/2020).

The Humber Bridge Board has taken the decision to close the toll booths to protect members of staff, key workers and those travelling for essential reasons.

All other drivers should avoid non-essential travel in line with the latest Government advice. 

However, despite drivers no longer being able to pay at the toll booth, standard toll charges will remain in place. 

Motorists using the Humber Bridge who do not have a HumberTag are asked to pay online at www.humbertag.com after they have made a crossing.

Motorists will be able to make their payment online, they should allow 24 hours after crossing for their registration to be uploaded. Online payments terms have been amended and drivers will have a full 14 days to pay their toll fee.

The Tag lanes, otherwise known as the Open Road Tolling (ORT) lanes, are the two inside lanes on the run-up to the toll gantry on the north side of the bridge. 

They are free flow lanes with no toll booths designed to be used by motorists who have a HumberTag.

However, motorists without a tag can use the ORT lanes and pay later online due to number plate recognition technology. 

Doing this avoids the need to stop when crossing the bridge, removing contact between Humber Bridge staff and motorists and therefore protecting both.

Motorists are asked to drive slowly on approach to the bridge gantry and observe the signage directing them through the ORT lanes.

Cones will also be in place to direct drivers into the right lanes. 

Read our FAQ’s here for more information on how to manage your crossings.

0

Humber Bridge COVID-19 Update

As the COVID-19 situation develops, the Humber Bridge Board is continuing to follow the government guidelines to ensure our staff and customers remain safe. As part of this, we have identified those staff who are deemed vulnerable or have vulnerable dependents, based on current guidance and have worked with them to self-isolate.

Where possible and practical, we have arranged for some of these staff to work from home, which has led to an overall reduction in staff available to work at the bridge.

This means we may have to reduce the number of booths open to the public, so we are asking Humber Bridge users to please be patient with our staff and each other during this very difficult time. As ever, we will try our best to minimise disruption during peak traffic times.

Please be assured that the safety of our staff and customers remains our number one priority at all times.

We’d also like to remind customers that they can help protect themselves and our staff by using contactless payment, although cash will still be accepted where there are no alternatives.

0

Humber Bridge users encouraged to go contactless to limit the spread of COVID-19

MOTORISTS crossing the Humber Bridge are being asked to use contactless payments instead of cash to help minimise contact.

The move is part of the planning and precautions the senior managers at Humber Bridge are taking to ensure the bridge stays operational during the outbreak, as the UK Government moves into the “delay” phase of its response to COVID-19. 

Tollbooth operators have been equipped with gloves, hand sanitiser and antibacterial wipes to help them keep their environment hygienic while dealing with the thousands of motorists using the bridge each day. 

However, as a further precaution to protect both staff and customers, senior managers at the Humber Bridge are calling on drivers to switch to contactless payments with immediate effect. 

Chief Operating Officer, Andrew Arundel, said the bridge is an essential connection for the region and is used by 10,000 vehicles every day. 

He said: “We have already equipped the staff with sanitation products to keep their immediate environment clean, but now we are encouraging motorists to do their bit by no longer using cash and choosing contactless payment methods instead. 

“We are entering a challenging phase where our priorities are our staff, our customers, and the safety of all bridge users, and balancing the needs of everyone is at the forefront of our minds.

“Our customers should know that we are continually planning, and we will keep them as well informed as possible. Please keep an eye on our website and social media channels for updates on changes at the Humber Bridge.” 

0

WEEKEND DELAYS AT HUMBER BRIDGE AS INSPECTION GANTRIES ARE REMOVED

MOTORISTS using the Humber Bridge this weekend are likely to face delays as the inspection gantries are finally being taken down.

The gantries, which have enabled vital cable inspection to be carried out over recent months, will be removed from the east side main cable between 8pm on Friday, September 13, and 4am on Monday, September 16.

During this time, the southbound carriageway will be closed but a contraflow on the northbound carriageway will ensure traffic continues to flow in both directions.

Despite this, however, motorists are advised to allow extra time for their journeys as the traffic management measures are likely to create delays.

As part of the work, the southbound TAG lane also will be closed, and the east footpath will remain closed.

However, cyclists and pedestrians will be able to access the west walkway of the bridge, which will be open for the entire weekend.

A spokesperson for the Humber Bridge said the removal of the gantries was a step closer to the vital inspection work being completed.

The spokesperson said: “The cable inspection work is now entering its final phase which means the gantries that have provided a vital platform for engineers to work on can finally be taken down.

“This is good news because it means the southbound lane closure can be partially removed and reduced to just a short section in the middle of the bridge.

“We are hoping to be in a position to remove the final section of the lane closure by mid-October, however this will be reliant on favourable weather, so we will keep our fingers crossed.

“The cable inspection work is essential to the ongoing maintenance and operation of the bridge, and we would like to thank our customers for their patience and understanding during times of congestion.”

For more information about the cable inspection work, watch this video

0

WEEKEND DELAYS AT HUMBER BRIDGE

Motorists are being warned to expect delays crossing the Humber Bridge this weekend as essential cable maintenance work enters its second phase.

Contractors have finished work on the western main cable and will move all scaffolding and gantries over to the eastern main cable, starting Friday evening around 8pm and finishing Sunday evening around 8pm.

During that time, a contraflow will be in place, the tag lanes may also be closed to control merging traffic and ensure safety.

This is a big undertaking and we would normally split this work over two weekends. However, we’re keen to keep disruption to a minimum so we’ve worked with the contractor to condense the work into a single weekend. We are asking motorists to plan their journey in advance allowing for the expected delays.

The cable maintenance work is essential and we would like to thank our customers in advance for their patience and understanding.

Since the work began earlier this year, the western carriageway has been reduced to a single lane for a portion of the bridge. There has also been a reduction in the speed limit to 30mph and the western footpath has been closed. Once this weekend’s work is complete, both lanes on the western carriageway will open and the speed restrictions will be lifted.

From Sunday evening through to the cable safety work finishing in October, the eastern carriageway will be reduced to a single lane for a portion and the speed limit will be reduced to 30mph. The eastern footpath will also be closed.

Pedestrians and cyclists are being assured that at least one walkway will be open this weekend as the changeover is implemented.

Once the scaffolding and inspection gantries have been removed from the western main cable, we will look to reopen the western footpath and close the eastern footpath. It’s hard to say precisely when that will happen, but we want to assure pedestrians and cyclists that at least one of the footpaths will be open all weekend.

For more information about the cable maintenance work – you can watch the video below.

+1

View from the South Bank Wins #YourBridge Photographic Competition

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#YourBridge – the Humber Bridge photo competition which has been running throughout 2018 – has been won by September’s entry, themed ‘Views from the South Bank’.

The breath-taking picture, which features the bridge under an array of moving clouds, was taken by Tim King of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.

Tim wins a photography masterclass with professional photographer, Lee Gale, and a selection of photographic equipment from London Camera Exchange – High Street, Lincoln, and Hilton Photographic in Hull.

His image will also feature on the front of the Humber Bridge Calendar 2019, which goes on sale early in the near year.

Tim said he was delighted to snap first prize in the year-long competition. He said: “Finding out I had won made my day, it was a fantastic surprise.

“I can’t wait for the masterclass and I’m really excited about seeing my picture on the front of the Humber Bridge Calendar.”

The #YourBridge competition was run throughout 2018 with each month having a different theme.

Photographers were encouraged to submit images that they felt best captured the spirit of that month’s theme, for a chance to feature in the 2019 Humber Bridge calendar.

The overall winner was then picked from those entries that had triumphed each month.

After a closely fought contest, Tim was crowned the winner.

Kevin Moore, Chief Executuve at the Humber Bridge, said: “Thank you to all the people who took part in the #YourBridge competition. We had some absolutely fantastic photographs submitted and in many ways it is unfortunate that only one can win.

“However, Tim’s entry really impressed the judges, making him a worthy winner.

“I’d also like to thank our team here at the Humber Bridge for carrying out their duties so professionally.

“Fans of the Humber Bridge can look out for our first official calendar, featuring all the #YourBridge winners, which will go on sale early next year.”

To view all of our monthly winners of the photography competition – click here

0

Farmers’ market will continue

The Board is in talks with a number of new market operators following last Sunday’s decision by the former operator to terminate its contract.

With up to 160 stalls and 5,000 regular customers, the Humber Bridge team is keen to ensure that normal service continues and will make an announcement next week about a new provider.

Chief Executive Dr Kevin Moore says: “We want to be clear to traders and shoppers that the farmers’ market is very important to us and we have been moving quickly to appoint a new operator but we will go ahead with the March event. I’d like to pay tribute to the stallholders who have been in touch and have pledged their support for our event. I look forward to seeing them back with us again.”

The next Farmers’ Market is scheduled for Sunday 4th March, 9-1, in the car park near the Tourist Information Centre. Free parking is available. Further information is available from events@humberbridge.co.uk or call 01482 647161.

0